
Many times when I go to activities that involve all or mostly Chileans, it can be a challenge for me. Mostly because I'm still learning the language and have to concentrate a lot when people are speaking to me...everyone talks so fast! So even though church is supposed to be a place to rest and reflect, it can often be hard work for me down here, and I'm exhausted by the time I leave. During time of worship through music, I'm trying to sing on the right notes, read the words in Spanish and understand what they mean, all at the same time.
But today, I was sitting in church (thanks to the Cisternas' for recommending it to me!), and all of a sudden a very familiar song started playing. I was so excited! The band began leading us in 'Dios de esta ciudad' or 'God of this City'. I think I was so excited to hear it because it immediately reminded me of my trip to Mexico last August. We have a slideshow of photos documenting the trip, and lots of times I like to watch it when I'm feeling a little homesick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ib9RC97PHg
It brings back great memories, and helps me feel connected even though I'm thousands of miles away. Even though the song was in Spanish during the service today, it was cool to have the same memories pop into my head. And I didn't stress about getting the words right this time...
I love this song because I think it applies to cities everywhere. No matter whether we're in Charlotte or Santiago, Tijuana or Malawi, greater things have yet to come and greater things are still to be done. It's easy to focus on the negative in this world, but what about the good things that are happening? Four of my really good friends (Jamie and Daniel McCollum and Kayla and Jonathan George) are getting ready to head to Malawi in July for a year...I can't wait for the wonderful things they are going to do in people's lives. I experienced their love and encouragement every day in Charlotte, so I can't wait for others to be touched in same way!
Lauren girl, your blog brings tears to my eyes! :) I had a hard time in church this morning because I know that things are going to change drastically in the coming months...you encourage ME by reminding me that "greater things have yet to come and greater things are still to be done"...by our great God! It doesn't matter where we are, God's work is still being done around us and through us! Thanks for the good words. Love you girl.
ReplyDelete