Hey everyone! How are you?? I hope you've had a wonderful weekend...especially enjoying the beautiful weather yesterday and today! ...it's making me not want to leave!! :(
Here's a re-cap on my week 'off'...it's been very eventful and very busy! I first drove up to Richmond Monday to spend some quality time with Mom and Dad. It was awesome. Monday night we had dinner at our favorite local Mexican restaurant (Don Pepe's) with Mark and Jamie. I also successfully 'convinced' two people to play hooky this week. Mom took off from school, and we had a fun girls' day out Tuesday, including meeting Amanda and Mrs. Whitt for a yummy seafood dinner at another Chesterfield local spot (Crab Louie's...mmm!). THEN Miss Amanda was so sweet to sacrifice a day away from her 4th graders to accompany me up to DC. We met up with Rosemary, Rachael and Melissa for a trendy Italian dinner in Clarendon Wednesday night (have you noticed that I keep talking about meals? Please note, this will continue through Chile as you all know how much I love food!). It was wonderful catching up with my DC girls, and I will miss you all very much!
On Thursday morning, Amanda and I ventured out in the freezing cold to the big city to pick up my long-awaited student visa. Rosemary so kindly recommended that we park in Old Town Alexandria and catch the metro into DC. Amanda and I successfully navigated through metro lines and got off at the right stop, woo hoo! After walking about three or four blocks in the numbing wind chill, we arrived at the Chilean Consulate. After a few minutes of waiting, Manuel (the guy working at the Consulate) called me to the back to review my official documentation and interview me. He said English or Español? Then he started joking with me...'For English, press one. Para español, marque numero dos'...oh Manuel! I decided to go for it and speak in Spanish with him. He took all of my original paperwork, including four photos I'd sent to them, to the back office. A few short minutes later, he returned. Apparently my passport photos weren't quite the right dimensions, so he advised me to walk about six blocks to the CVS to re-do my photos and return with acceptable ones. Amanda waited patiently in the Consulate lobby while I ran (yes, ran...shoes falling off and everything because who actually wears proper attire in what feels like -15 degree weather?? I didn't listen to Mom, go figure!) to CVS. After waiting behind seven or eight other individuals trying to take passport photos, I returned to the Consulate. Finally, Manuel was comfortable with these photos for my visa and passport...under one condition...he wanted to keep a copy of the original photo I sent. What a sense of humor! He asked me to write 'For Manuel' on the back and put my email address on it too. I gracefully declined :) These Chilean men...what have I gotten myself into?! Hahah
Fortunately, Manuel was not bitter about my photo withholding and completed my visa. Woo hoo! Upon receiving that stressful paperwork, Amanda and I made our trek through the frigid cold back to the metro and finally to my car in Alexandria...only to find out that I had a parking ticket....Amanda and I must've missed that fire hydrant on the sidewalk, oops! Then, it took us two tries to leave northern Virginia (it's tricky!!). We just aren't made for that city. Thank goodness I won't have a car in Santiago!!
After driving back to Richmond (by the way, thank you for your moral support, Amanda!), I hopped in the car again on Friday morning to make my way back to Charlotte, with a quick break in Raleigh. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous because I knew Paula's parents were in town, and this would be the first test at my Spanish-speaking abilities/foreshadowing of my communication in Chile. Of course Sonia and Daniel were as sweet and kind as they've always been (and I knew they were, but it was still intimidating!). Sonia was so generous as to give me her cell phone to use during my first few weeks in Chile while they are on vacation in Europe. What a saving grace! Now when I arrive in Santiago on the 18th, I can easily call Paula's sisters (Romi and Panchi) to let them know I've landed safely and find the bus to head to Viña del Mar (where they're from). The Cisternas family is already so hospitable, and I haven't even gotten there yet!! Between that and Nelo (Paula's brother) offering to let me live in his apartment in Santiago, I don't know how I got so unbelievably lucky!! I am SO grateful.
After hanging out with Paula, Todd, Sonia and Daniel and playing with miss Amelia, it was time for me to make the last stretch back to Charlotte. It felt really good to finally be out of the car Friday night! I'm so grateful that I got to see everyone in Virginia this past week, so it was definitely worth all the driving :)
Last night in Charlotte, my friends threw me a bonfire celebración! (Thank you for all the organizing and planning Kayla!) I was amazed by the number of people that came to Heidi's house. Not only was half of Watershed there, but also a crew of my Wachovia colleagues. Y'all make me feel so loved, and I'm going to miss everyone so much!! The s'mores were rockin' too :)
Alright well I think that's enough for tonight. I just want to thank everyone again for spending time with me this past week. It meant the world to me, and I love you all very much!!
The next time I post a blog, I'll probably be in CHILE!! :) That's what you're waiting for anyway, right?!
For those of you that are nervous or worried about me, check out the following message Romi sent me earlier this evening:
Diles que esten tranquilos porque te cuidaremos muy bien.
It translates to: Tell them to be calm because we are going to take very good care of you.
:)
Love and grace on your week,
LG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey girl! Just talked to Matt and heard you made it safely! We miss you already. I know that your time in Chile will be amazing - know that we're thinking of you and praying for you!
ReplyDeleteKendra