Friday, November 6, 2009

A heart in two places

The beautiful bride and groom


Charlotte ladies at the wedding


Trivia/telephone game at el Oasis retreat


'Put me in, coach!'


The awesome el Oasis crew at Vilches Bajo


Two weeks ago I flew home for Jessica and Bryan's wedding. It was absolutely wonderful being a part of their special day. Even though I didn't get hardly any sleep between Wednesday night (when I flew out) and Monday morning, it was totally worth it. I'm so honored to be their friend and so excited for what the future brings them (including, hopefully, lots of Sunday night dinners!)

I have to admit the week I got home to Santiago was a bit difficult adjusting back to my life in Chile. There was nothing wrong at the house or at school, but I guess after seeing a few people at home, I started thinking more and more what it was like to be in their everyday lives. It was a little taste of home, and I couldn't get it out of my head. Fortunately I have an awesome Chilean family, and after a week of getting back in the groove AND an awesome retreat with El Oasis, I'm back to my normal Chilena self.

El Oasis put on a retreat this past weekend in an area about 3 hours south of Santiago, called Vilches Bajo. The theme of the weekend was basically 'the Sexes'...and no, it wasn't about sex, entirely. What I mean is, we had an awesome husband and wife, who are missionaries in the south of Chile, talk to us about how to have a healthy relationship (whether dating or married) with Christ at the center. As the majority of the church community are college-aged students, I thought it was a wonderful topic to lay on the table. It was really cool to get perspective from both a guy and girl (let's face it, most ministers are men) about relationships. They were honest about struggles they'd had in the past, including their marriage, but how they finally came together closer than ever with God at the center. It reminded me of the 'Stogies and Stilettos' series at Watershed, so it was awesome to see similar things being discussed halfway around the world...in Spanish. It was a very humbling. I admire Mark and Eli (the missionaries that have been working at el Oasis for almost four years) so much for what they're doing in these students' lives.

In addition to some quality discussions and reflecting, we also had lots of fun and recreation during the weekend. For one, we played 'Futból Flamenco' (Flamingo soccer) where the guys could only hop on one foot (no running) and kick the ball with one foot the entire game. I thought this would've given the girls an advantage, but it seems guys are just too good at soccer and they won in overtime 5-4. We also had a dance competition Saturday night where everyone paired up, labeled with numbers and all, and competed with each other for the best rhythm and moves through a variety of styles of music. I was awkwardly put with someone I didn't know, but it was still lots of fun. But let's go back to the soccer game...can I just say, that's the first time I've EVER played soccer! I hope everyone is proud!! I'm sure I was hilarious to watch, with my sweet running skills and all, but it was a blast :)

Now as I'm wrapping up my last five or so weeks here in the most southern part of the world, I'm trying to keep at peace about the next big transition coming up. I've been so blessed this entire year and formed some amazing relationships, that I can't stand thinking about Dec. 14 when I have to head to the airport. But at the same time, I can't wait to see all of you at home. Just like in January and February, I find my heart in two places.

No comments:

Post a Comment