Hola! Como estaí? I'm doing well, but I have to tell you, I've been a bit homesick this week. It's hard to believe, but I've been here about six weeks already. And thinking back to my study abroad trip to Spain when I was a sophomore in college, it was only seven weeks total. I can't imagine having to leave Chile already, but I miss everyone A LOT. Can you all just move down here with me? That'd be great, thanks :)
Fortunately, I have some gringo friends that share my sentiments, so we've gotten together a few times this week. I guess we were all looking for comfort in the familiar. Besides getting together for the Chile vs. Uruguay fútbol game (it was a boring game...they tied), we also had pizza Friday night. And I spent some quality time with Romi this week before she left today. I'm sad she's gone (and still a little scared to live alone!), but I'm so excited for her experience the next few months in Argentina! She was very busy finishing up work, running errands, saying bye to friends, etc. all week...hahah it felt like de-ja-vou (sp?). I'm sure by the time she left today, she was exhausted from all of the running around, but luckily she gets to spend a few days at home in Viña with her fam before leaving Thursday.
Today I experienced another part of Chilean culture. I met a group of friends in an area about an hour and a half from Santiago, called Rancagua, for a rodeo. There was also a huge festival in the main plaza (called Plaza de los Heroes) with more food, crafts, and wine than you can imagine. People were playing instruments and singing, and having a great time. I ate way more food than anyone should eat, but I couldn't resist! I took ...a chicken kabob, choripan (sausage wrapped in a baguette with a delicious salsa/pico de gallo type sauce on it...very typical in Chile), a taco, half a piece of manjar cake AND an ice cream cone...to the face within about a four-hour time frame. Needless to say, my stomach was not too happy with me by the end of the day. I think I'm going to give it a break and refrain from dinner tonight haha. But hey, I also had to eat lots because there was wine tasting at the festival too! I couldn't let all of that wine to go to my head, nos cierto? My favorite wine of the day was a carmenere, which is not surprising...it's the most popular type in Chile.
After indulging way too much today (but gosh, it was fun!), we finally made it to the stadium to see the rodeo. We walked in to find a pin with huasos (Chilean cowboys) warming up with their horses, trotting around circles. So at first, it seemed like any other rodeo I would expect to see. Then, we got into the arena and it was not at all what I expected. And much to my horror, it was almost as cruel as a Spanish bullfight. I expected to find cowboys being bucked around on bulls or lassoing, but it was more like two huasos and their horses chasing around a cow or bull, harrassing it and trying to knock it into a wall...which I think gave them points? (I kept hearing the announcer say 'punto bueno'). Needless to say, we weren't impressed and felt bad for the cows and bulls. Maybe I should've done my research before paying to go to this 'sporting event'...
Anyway, it was still a very fun, but exhausting day! I'm glad to be back home in Santiago now and look forward to relaxing tonight.
Please write me an email and let me know what you've been up to!
Love,
LG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
we miss you!! can we skype you into Bloc this Thursday night? Are you busy around 7pm? Let me know and we can set it up! Love you.
ReplyDeleteRODEO!!! YEEEHAWWWWW!!!1... I think I could get used that. hope your having fun! we all miss you. peace.
ReplyDelete