A lot of you have been asking me what I miss from the U.S., so I thought it'd be fun to make a list of my likes and dislikes so far in my trip...
I miss coffee, real coffee. Everything here is instant coffee made by Nestle I think. I haven't seen any coffee-makers like the ones we're used to in the U.S., but maybe I can find a french press soon and try it the European way.
I miss grass and trees. When I was living in the hostel, I was only surrounded by cement. Fortunately there is a park near the apartment where I'm living now, but I miss walking around places like Dilworth and admiring the hundred plus year old trees.
I miss fresh air. Santiago has a smog problem, so there's always a haze in the sky. A lot of people smoke down here too, more than what I remember at home. It stinks (literally and figuratively) when you're on a busy street corner waiting for the light to allow pedestrians to walk and you can't get away from the three or four people surrounding you that are smoking. And almost every time I blow my nose, some of my snot is grayish (I'm sure you're really glad I told you that...) Yuck! But when I do get out of the city on the weekends, the air is much fresher :)
I love the fresh fruit and vegetables...and well food in general! I eat so many more fruits and veggies down here, and they're so delicious and cheap! Tomato salads are very popular, so I love them. They're basically just tomatoes with olive oil and salt. I also eat LOTS of avocado (called palta down here). The grapes taste way better and so do the mandarins. Mmmmm!!
I love the simplistic living. Everyone, at least in the cities, lives in an apartment, and I love how they don't need so much space. They also don't typically use dishwashers, and I'm surprisingly starting to enjoy washing my own dishes. Everyone knows my favorite pastime is cooking and eating with friends, so I think it continues even during clean up. And believe it or not, I'm starting to get over my phobia of stacked dishes!!
I love the people. I think I'm mostly too scared to live in a place like New York or DC because people are so busy and scary. Down here, even though I'm living in a HUGE city, I feel like everyone is hospitable. I'm not afraid to ask someone for directions if I'm confused (don't worry I only ask women so I don't put myself in a sticky situation), and people are always willing to help. They also share a lot more than we do in the States. I don't miss our individualistic nature at all...I think it has led to too many problems and loneliness in our country. The 'American Dream,' while it's intention may be good, it sometimes leaves people behind because it's all about what each person can accomplish and obtain for his or herself or his or her own family. I want to be successful in what I do in life, but I want to share it with others and not feel like I have to beat out or compete with someone else. Biological and immediate families are very supportive of one another (for the most part) in the U.S., but what about our ENTIRE family...friends, acquaintances, co-workers, strangers, the poor, neighbors, etc...?
I love the mountains. I don't think Chileans appreciate their terrain as much as I do sometimes. I wake up every morning and look out my window to the Andes (check out that photo above...yes that's from my window). How awesome is that?? Me encanta!!
I miss coffee, real coffee. Everything here is instant coffee made by Nestle I think. I haven't seen any coffee-makers like the ones we're used to in the U.S., but maybe I can find a french press soon and try it the European way.
I miss grass and trees. When I was living in the hostel, I was only surrounded by cement. Fortunately there is a park near the apartment where I'm living now, but I miss walking around places like Dilworth and admiring the hundred plus year old trees.
I miss fresh air. Santiago has a smog problem, so there's always a haze in the sky. A lot of people smoke down here too, more than what I remember at home. It stinks (literally and figuratively) when you're on a busy street corner waiting for the light to allow pedestrians to walk and you can't get away from the three or four people surrounding you that are smoking. And almost every time I blow my nose, some of my snot is grayish (I'm sure you're really glad I told you that...) Yuck! But when I do get out of the city on the weekends, the air is much fresher :)
I love the fresh fruit and vegetables...and well food in general! I eat so many more fruits and veggies down here, and they're so delicious and cheap! Tomato salads are very popular, so I love them. They're basically just tomatoes with olive oil and salt. I also eat LOTS of avocado (called palta down here). The grapes taste way better and so do the mandarins. Mmmmm!!
I love the simplistic living. Everyone, at least in the cities, lives in an apartment, and I love how they don't need so much space. They also don't typically use dishwashers, and I'm surprisingly starting to enjoy washing my own dishes. Everyone knows my favorite pastime is cooking and eating with friends, so I think it continues even during clean up. And believe it or not, I'm starting to get over my phobia of stacked dishes!!
I love the people. I think I'm mostly too scared to live in a place like New York or DC because people are so busy and scary. Down here, even though I'm living in a HUGE city, I feel like everyone is hospitable. I'm not afraid to ask someone for directions if I'm confused (don't worry I only ask women so I don't put myself in a sticky situation), and people are always willing to help. They also share a lot more than we do in the States. I don't miss our individualistic nature at all...I think it has led to too many problems and loneliness in our country. The 'American Dream,' while it's intention may be good, it sometimes leaves people behind because it's all about what each person can accomplish and obtain for his or herself or his or her own family. I want to be successful in what I do in life, but I want to share it with others and not feel like I have to beat out or compete with someone else. Biological and immediate families are very supportive of one another (for the most part) in the U.S., but what about our ENTIRE family...friends, acquaintances, co-workers, strangers, the poor, neighbors, etc...?
I love the mountains. I don't think Chileans appreciate their terrain as much as I do sometimes. I wake up every morning and look out my window to the Andes (check out that photo above...yes that's from my window). How awesome is that?? Me encanta!!
If I think of any more, I'll let you know :)
Lauren your comments in this blog entry were fantastic. I love how appreciative you are of living a simplistic life centralized in an environment of family or community - that is beautiful. On the flip side I am super jealous of your sheer proximity to mass amounts of palta.
ReplyDeleteTake care my friend!
Jon
This was a beautiful post! You are becoming a natural writer :)
ReplyDelete